Tuesday, September 6, 2011

Poor neglected blog

I keep wondering if I should let this one go, or keep it. I want a place for my thoughts (when I feel like posting about them) that's separate from the family blog, so this is it. You may notice that I haven't posted in a while. It's because I get scared. I go through times when I bare my soul and I don't care, but lately, I've held back and don't want everyone to read my thoughts. I heard recently that the way to know what you think is to write your thoughts. I recently heard someone quote Brad Wilcox and what he wrote in an Ensign article:
I once asked a college professor what he thought about a particular issue. He said: “I don’t know. I’ve never written anything about it.” His response puzzled me at the time, but not anymore. “Thoughts are created in the act of writing. [It is a myth that] you must have something to say in order to write. Reality: You often need to write in order to have anything to say. Thought comes with writing, and writing may never come if it is postponed until we are satisfied that we have something to say. … The assertion of write first, see what you had to say later applies to all manifestations of written language, to letters … as well as to diaries and journals” (Frank Smith, “Myths of Writing,” Language Arts 58, no. 7 [1981]: 793, 795).
So apparently, I don't know what to think, since I haven't written anything, except for a little guest post over at Modern Molly Mormon which has been a nice little outlet for all my spiritual thoughts. So I promise to write more consistently here, not for you, but for me. I need to know what I think and what I know.

No comments:

Post a Comment