Friday, September 23, 2011

Evening with an author

I think I can say now that Utah may be cooler than Idaho. Just a little. And only in certain aspects. For instance, I'm a lot closer to some really good friends. And then when those friends invite me to do cool things with them, I can actually go! That's how it went this past week. Tammy, my good friend from college, invited me to listen to a New York Time's best-selling author, Cinda Williams Chima. Now I had never heard of her before, but I thought, what the hey and went. The presentation happened to be in this beautiful building:


First of all, traffic going down to Provo was horrible, but we made it and only missed the very beginning of her presentation. It was fascinating and reminded me of aspirations I had as a little girl. From a young age, I had thought about becoming an author, being inspired by an amazing teacher of mine. Well, as time went on, I saw that really wasn't my passion and moved on to other things. I still felt akin to Cinda as she described herself and her love of stories and books. Through an inspiring teacher who framed a poem she had wrote, Cinda realized she could be a successful writer.


And she was successful, but despite that, she impressed me as being very down to earth. I can't wait to read her books now. All in all, it was a great evening with friends and book lovers alike.

No comments:

Post a Comment