Tuesday, November 5, 2013

Trying it again (First day, take two)

Two years ago, I volunteered at the local elementary school to read with a couple of 6th graders. To say the least, it was a challenge with one (read about it here and here). I didn't volunteer at all last year because I had Jacob and needed to take care of him. This year, I have a good friend, Lauren, that I could swap babysitting with so we decided to do it together! She will go one day and I can go the other day.

To say the least, I was excited to try this again. Even though the last attempt (at volunteering) was less than successful, I kept an optimistic perspective. The director of the tutoring program promised me that I wouldn't have a student similar to "Dave."

I was relieved with my first encounter with student #1. Another boy, but he was quirky, fun and simply adorable. Don't tell him I said that. He loved the book we picked (Wayside School Gets a Little Stranger by Louis Sachar) but unfortunately needed to move up another level. Student #2 is a sweet girl who likes dance and drawing. I couldn't wait to get back to Lauren and tell her about the kids.

It's going to be a good school year.

No comments:

Post a Comment