Monday, November 4, 2013

Postponing "the dream"

When we moved to Utah and found our home - a four bedroom duplex - it was a dream to us! Compared to our two-bedroom apartment, it seemed so big with lots of room to grow. I fell in love.

Two years and one more child later, I (I will speak for myself in the matter) feel a little cramped with everything we've accumulated thus far. I dislike sharing a wall with neighbors who seem to be up at all hours of the night and who smoke on the property, despite being told not to by the landlord. I don't like have a fixed layout, drafty windows and doors and an out-dated kitchen appearance.

Insert hashtag "first-world problems." Insert also "cry me a river and get over it."

That's how I feel when I complain to Jed. Then I remember all the positive aspects of this home: great landlords who take care of lawn and maintenance, a garden area, a big backyard for the boys, and sufficient room for all we need.

That being said, I was getting antsy. I wanted a bigger place, one that we actually "owned." So when my neighbor, and many of my friends, started looking and buying houses, I wanted in. I started looking too. We even met with a realtor.

Then reality hit. After making the goal to set up a larger emergency savings and pay off a couple of debts (one including a newer car), we realized homeownership was just not in the picture. Yet. And that's ok.

I follow Dave Ramsey on Facebook  and I really enjoy the articles that are posted. A couple of them have been on homeownership and the value of renting for awhile.

I had a "lightbulb" moment. It's ok to be renting. There's no shame in that. It's ok to save up until we have sufficient funds to purchase a home - however and whenever that happens. And it's ok to have less. I realized my family of 6 grew up in a three-bedroom home until we moved to Nebraska. Then it was four bedrooms, but my sisters and I still shared rooms. We survived. And although I have a long list of "needs" for my future dream home, I recognize I won't get them all and don't have to have them all. I just need to be content with the now.

1 comment:

  1. I am glad to see your post! It is really great you follow the Dave Ramsey ( and Rex?) Advice about saving until the time is right. Four yrs ago I was in a similar position. A few of my friends were moving into houses , even thoug the market was bad . I was jealous, house hungry and cramped... I didnt want to share a wall anymore, and then things got worse....I had another baby! I am grateful for Zack, but had to realize that ( on Gods plan) we needed to have him there and THEN move. We are glad for that because we saved more and in return got a better house. You probably know all this already, but wanted to say that you will know when the time is right. And it might be hard now to have patience (ie: crazy Jay, newer kitchen...), but it will be worth it! :)

    ReplyDelete