Friday, March 1, 2013

What next?

While this isn't a religious blog and I haven't posted here in over a year, I have felt several times that I needed to express my feelings on a couple of issues that I've seen come up a few times in the past little while. 

One was the "pants movement"  where some LDS women peacefully demonstrated their desire for equality in the church and now, an issue has cropped up with breastfeeding moms and whether it's appropriate to not cover up or leave to feed their child during church meetings.

As I've read these articles and comments regarding these issues, my first reactions have been less than Christ-like. Then I repent and start over, feeling sadness for individuals who end up leaving the church because of hurtful comments or judgments by others. My sadness also stems from so much conflict that is happening among the members of the church.

Christ counseled this when he visited the Nephites on the American continent after His resurrection:

For verily, verily I say unto you, he that hath the spirit of contention is not of me, but is of the devil, who is the father of contention, and he stirreth up the hearts of men to contend with anger, one with another. 
Behold, this is not my doctrine, to stir up the hearts of men with anger, one against another; but this is my doctrine, that such things should be done away.

I'm know conflict among church members is not a new thing. With social media so prevalent  it's easy to see more and more of this and take sides, criticize and condemn. Thus, both sides, whether right or wrong, are both in the wrong as offense is taken and Christ-like feelings and charity go out the window.

This part causes me to exclaim in exasperation, "Really?" As the time comes closer when the Savior comes again, we as members should strengthen our grip on the Iron Rod, study the scriptures harder than ever, serve each other and have greater patience with those different from us and recognize and avoid Satan's tactics to try to deceive us.

Aren't we all in this together? Shouldn't we be understanding of the struggling mother who has multiple children with her and a husband on the stand who needs to feed her screaming infant? Can't we (as mothers) understand that it might be uncomfortable for others if we didn't cover up while nursing at church? What about the women who feel they are looked down upon because they are women? Instead of seeking to be right, let's focus on being like Christ. Trust me, I know this is hard. I have my struggles with imperfection, but I have faith in the Atonement and it's enabling power to lift me higher. And because I know the Savior's Atonement is for everyone, I can have patience for those who struggle just like me.

No comments:

Post a Comment