Friday, January 30, 2015

Back in the saddle again

I always think of "Sleepless in Seattle" and Tom Hanks trying to date again with that song. So I thought it appropriate for the setting. I'm not talking about dating; I'm talking about writing.

It's been too long since my last post, since I've written anything. For a self-proclaimed writer, that's kind of sad.

I decided to just write away - what I'm feeling, what I'm thinking, what I'd like to say to others, and I just don't care what the audience thinks. I used to aspire to be a "mommy blogger," make a ton of money, reach out to tons of moms, make a difference, save the world, bring about world peace, etc. Now, I realize, I just need an outlet. And I need to put the things that are cramming my brain at late and early hours need to be put some where. Maybe someone else feels the same way and maybe not. But it doesn't matter because if I feel that it needs to said, then I should say it and put my skills to use.

It's hard not to compare yourself to others who are in your same exact situation (SAHM) who are writing books or working part time or just creating whether for pleasure or business or both. I have a hard time just getting a shower in sometimes much less finding time (or energy) to create something on a regular basis.

Then, I had an opportunity fall right into my lap and I jumped on it. I actually made some money from that opportunity and I can't tell you how energized that made me feel. How alive I felt. It was an interesting phenomenon. It had been awhile since I felt that rush of emotion. I used what few photography skills I have and took a few pictures of a property for an appraisal group. That's all I did. Five minutes plus travel time and it was totally worth it because the kids were in tow and totally cooperative.

After that experience, I started thinking: "What else can I do with the skills that I have?" I have a few ideas, nothing I am willing to share now, but I'm excited to try things out. Now that my kids are a little older and less needy (at least less needy than a newborn), I can do something. Yes, I realize that what I'm doing with my kids is the most important thing I'll ever do, but sometimes you need to do something else once in a while.

My most important work

5 comments:

  1. Good positive thinking Sarah! I look forward to more writing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think you are rocking the SAHM thing, and anything else you do is icing on the Sarah cake. Go, girl!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww Sierra! I wish I felt that way all the time. Thanks! I appreciate all the cheering.

      Delete
    2. Good job Sarah - I think you are doing great trying to stay "well grounded" in so many things and continuing to learn and grow. Keep up the great work.

      Delete