Thursday, November 5, 2009

New Job!

Okay at the request of a certain friend (Jen!), I really should blog about my new job. So I realize that I've gone through 3 jobs this year - crazy changes that I really didn't want to happen but couldn't really prevent.

As most of you know, I was working part time with RFinity, the start-up technology company where Jed works and I was also writing freelance for a weekly paper in Rigby, The Jefferson Star. Well, things were getting really crazy. I was struggling to find the motivation to report for the Star after getting home from work. When I get home, I'm done. Knowing that I wasn't contributing 100 percent to the newspaper, I had decided to quit and focus on my cushy secretary job that paid me well. Working for the newspaper seemed to be nothing but a hassle that paid poorly so I thought, why bother?

Just as I was getting ready to call my manager at the paper, she calls me and asks me to come in. I thought it was the perfect opportunity to tell her my plans, especially since I thought she might have some complaints about me (don't ask me why I thought that). So I met with her the next day and she told me that the girl working in the office now was probably going to work for the daily in Idaho Falls, the Post Register (which owns the Jefferson Star). She said if that happened, she wanted me to take her position. That hit me like a train. Seriously?, I thought. What happened to the complaining I was expecting? Certainly not this! She goes on to tell me how she's been impressed with me and how I've really stepped up to the plate, blah blah blah. We talk about a few of the logistics about working part time, what that would mean for my RFinity job, how much I'd be paid, etc. I told her I would need a few days to talk about it with Jed and think it over.

To be honest, I was concerned. Leaving my nice $14-an-hour job where I do maybe an hour's worth of work every day would be a little difficult. I liked having my afternoons to do whatever I needed/wanted to do. Going full time with this job would be more stressful at work and at home with less time to do housework and other things. Plus I'd be taking a small pay cut, but I would be making more moving to full-time status. I thought of how much better this would look to a future employer (if the need came) and how much experience I would be getting.

Considering all this and praying and talking about it with Jed and my parents, I decided to take it. Trust me, I have only been working for a few days, but I love it! I've done so many different things, but the biggest thing I love is being a part of the team, being involved in the process of putting the paper together, of the camaraderie in the office with the other two women and one man! I've written a few stories about veterans and school children memorializing relatives who are veterans and I've answered the phones and I've written up briefs and I've helped the secretary. My job has no title and I do a little of everything, which is great. Plus, my manager and the secretary love me - yay for good work ethic!

Basically, what it comes down to is timing. I originally interviewed for this position (granted, it was for a full-time reporter when that happened), and I didn't get it. I was pretty bummed and so I endured the freelancing which was kind of challenging. Now, a few months later, I got the job without too much effort (besides the enduring the freelancing) and I'm enjoying it! I really hope that I can maintain this level of enthusiasm and that I can keep impressing the manager. But mostly, I'm grateful to my Heavenly Father for teaching me to be patient and for the blessings of that patience.

3 comments:

  1. Yay for you Sarah!! That is awesome! Now I feel guilty about not updating my blog...lol. I'll try to get on that this weekend...maybe...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great job, Sarah! I'm so glad the paper recognized a good thing when they had it and decided to make sure to keep it! Yay for you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The ironic thing is that Heavenly Father helped both of us. I originally interviewed for THIS job a few months ago as well and after months of unemployment it just sort of fell into my lap after you quit. So both of our patience paid off at once! Glad you are enjoying your new job!

    ReplyDelete