Thursday, November 12, 2009

Thankful

For some reason today, I just couldn't stop being so grateful. But this feeling was for something in particular. As I was driving to work this morning, I got to thinking how grateful I was for my ability and talent to write.

Now, of course I would be grateful for that; otherwise, I wouldn't have a job. But really, if you consider my history (the little there is), then you would understand.

Let's go back about 15 years. That would put me in fifth grade, my favorite year. My teacher, Mr. Warner, was the best. He made me fall in love with every subject, including science, and he just brought out the best in me. Well, in our creative writing unit, I wrote a short story called, "The Attack of the Killer Spaghetti." I know, I know, you're thinking "child prodigy" or "future Pulitzer prize winner." Well, that is how Mr. Warner made me feel. He loved this little piece of writing and encouraged me to write more. That was all I need to put my little gears a-turnin' into thinking about a future in writing.

I continued writing short pieces, mostly ideas that would pop into my head, but once I hit high school, the drive and the excitement just puttered and came to a stop. I joined the yearbook staff my sophomore year and wrote that first year and then something happened. I found a passion in photography. I became the assistant photo editor and shot up the whole school and loved it. I knew then I had found my true vocation. I loved processing the film, catching certain facial expressions, capturing the slide into home plate. I realized I was improving and my eye for photography expanded.

When applying for college, I looked at other avenues to help the financial burden I was undertaking. I saw an opportunity to get a scholarship working for the campus paper. I sent in photographs and, because they asked for it, writing samples.

Much to my surprise, I was giving a very nice scholarship to be assistant news editor, a reporting position. I was so disappointed. I complained: I'm not a writer! I felt they were all wrong in their decision. It was so hard for me to pen my thoughts. How was I going to contribute?

I worked on the Scroll my first year. And because of the money, I was there my second year. I served a mission but when I came back, I had a guaranteed editor's position. I still struggled with writing. I didn't loathe it, but it definitely wasn't my friend. Luckily, as an editor, I worked more with writers on their stories and did page layout more than I wrote, but the occasion still called for it. I realized I was pretty good with technical writing, grammar and all that, but creativity still eluded me. But I trudged through it for 4 1/2 years. However, things changed when I did an internship that was mostly reporting. I was surprised to find I enjoyed the writing aspect more than the page layout.

Four months after graduation, I did the only thing I could do: send my resume to a newspaper. What else was I going to do? After some time, I get a call from a lady who works for a weekly paper in Rigby. She offered me a freelancing job reporting a couple of times a week. I was bummed I didn't get a full-time reporting job as I hoped (I shared that with you last time). I've expressed my struggles already on that subject, but I enjoyed it, especially meeting new people.

Now, with my current full time job of reporting and page layout, I am in love. I have written four stories in two days. There was a time when that was impossible for me. I can see now that I have a sense of reporting and I know the questions to ask. I can recognize the important things and I can play on the interesting and unique. Words come much quicker to me. That does not mean that I am in any means an expert. I have a long ways to go to perfect this art. But the object of this post was gratitude. I am so thankful that I have worked to hone this ability and talent of mine. And of course this comes from God. Without Him, I am nothing. But I look at how far I was 6 years ago and where I am now, I have come a long ways.

And this is just one of the things that fills my soul with joy.

4 comments:

  1. I had no idea that writing was such a struggle for you. You sure pulled the wool over my eyes! I still remember when you were going to be my assistant editor on the Religion staff. I was so disappointed not to have you. I'm so happy that you're enjoying your job so much!! Yay for you!! I felt the same way when I first got my job at the bank. Now it's time for something new and different, I'm afraid, but I am grateful to have a good job.

    ReplyDelete
  2. In one hundred million years I would have NEVER guessed that during that first semester when we were both little freshman assistant editors together that you struggled with writing AT ALL! I was always in awe at how great you were at writing. You do have a wonderful talent! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great job! I've always thought you were a great writer and designer but I didn't even know you did photography. You are a very talented woman!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh you're blog has such perfect grammar and punctuation! Don't read mine!

    Isn't it amazing how one person making us feel special in something can affect the course of our life?

    ReplyDelete