Monday, October 12, 2009

Two negatives equal ...?

So... busy ... blah blah ... so much work ... blah blah, etc.

Okay I got my excuses out of the way.

I've missed the writing. Well, I've been writing for The Jefferson Star, but not posting on here and that's been depressing. I realize I don't want to post anything when I'm feeling negative so this doesn't turn into ranting. Really - who wants to hear about all the negative things that happen during the week? That would just make you, the audience, sad. So with that said, let me proceed.

All the negative first. Here's a list of things that I can complain about:

  • The starter had to be replaced in our little '89 Honda.
  • Our ghetto dryer decided it didn't want to work.
  • My old roommate found out she was pregnant, but then miscarried shortly after finding out.
  • Some good friends of ours are getting a divorce.
  • The newspaper and my boss are plotting against me, determined to drive me insane as quickly as possible.
  • My church responsibilities grew like 10 times.
  • Some of my medication was causing me other negative health issues.
  • Jed was taken off a project he's been working on for a few weeks, maybe months, because of some jerk employee that doesn't know how to work well with others.
Feeling bad for us now? I thought so.

Lest you think that I want people to feel sorry for us, think again. Jed and I have had some interesting things happen to us within a short period of time, but I wouldn't trade it. Just when I thought I couldn't stretch anymore, I became saltwater taffy (except just not as tasty). When I reached the top, the ceiling moved a few feet more. This extra growth came not from me, but from a greater source. I drew on my faith in God. It may sound trite and simple, but I had to dig inside to find that faith. I prayed with greater intensity. I studied the scriptures with more dedication. My love for Jed and others became deeper. My best was made better. How? I'm not sure and don't think I will ever know. But I'm so grateful to a loving God who saw me in a position to grow and had confidence in me to do it, knowing I would rely on Him.

So looking at that list takes on a different meaning. They weren't negative at all. Merely opportunities. I'm not trying to pat myself on the back or hope that you think I'm cool. I am analyzing the growth I've experienced and hope that I can remember this for the next time.

Now how about a list of blessings?

  • We have a beautiful apartment!

This was before we officially moved in - now it has way too much stuff (more evidence of our blessings and generous friends and family)
  • My husband is worthy of the priesthood to give me a blessing.
  • I have wonderful, supportive family
  • Jed and I both have jobs.


  • We both have testimonies of the restored gospel of Jesus Christ.

Artist: Greg Olsen. Photo courtesy siennasmommy.blogspot.com.

We are blessed in many other ways, and since I don't want to make you jealous, I'll forbear. But when things start to pile up for you, take a look at all the "negatives" and see how really blessed you are and if those negatives can't be changed into a positive.

1 comment:

  1. It's funny to me that you would write this now. We've been having some opportunities for growth around here too. Even though we may see that we are growing, have grown and been blessed, it doesn't make them any easier. But having the knowledge that we have been given these challenges for a reason, sometimes helps. Thanks for sharing. It helps to know that we aren't alone in our trials!

    Hope all is well and you have grown enough for awhile

    Heather

    ReplyDelete