Thursday, July 9, 2009

Temples and moths


One would think that a temple really wouldn't need cleaning due to the meticulous way people behave in the temple. Nonetheless, the temple is wiped spotless (or near spotless) every day.

Jed and I began our weekly janitorial volunteering last night and it was so neat! First off, we had no idea that we would be in charge of a ward assigned for cleaning that night. Not having cleaned the temple before and not arriving early enough for an orientation, Jed and I were given a list of things to do and three volunteers. On the 2nd level of the temple, we set to work and gave jobs to our three hardy workers who were twice our age. They vacuumed, I cleaned the bathrooms and Jed wiped the woodworking.

During my brief stay in the bathrooms spraying all sorts of good smelling cleaners, I felt so privileged to be an "invisible" help for people who come to worship in God's house. I thought if I had come to the temple and saw some dust or maybe a streaky mirror, that just might distract me enough from my feelings. I realized my important role in eliminating possible distractions for others.

I moved on after the bathrooms and started on wiping the staircase banisters. Along the stairs are some windows and I attempted to dust those ledges, but for some, my duster (and arms) were too short. I noticed a dead moth on one of them and tried in vain to remove it. I gave up after a while, making a mental note to get someone with longer arms to take care of that. Unfortunately, the time to clean had ended and I had forgotten about the moth. I cringe now with the thought that I left something undone and hope that someone else found it and has removed it. It made me think again about "moths" that we don't take care of, whether for ourself or someone else.

No comments:

Post a Comment