Saturday, August 22, 2015

Most important message

"I am a child of God, and He has sent me here."

Most nights when I put the boys to bed (they sleep separately) and especially with Jacob, I sing this song that's become extremely popular in our household. You might think this would be boring, but I take the message pretty seriously.

"Has given me an earthly home, with parents kind and dear."

The one message I want to leave my kids with at the end of each day couldn't be more important than the one within this children's song. I want my children to know that they are children of God, that He loves them and He sent them to our loving home.

Not only does this song teach them, but it teaches me. I want to remember that I am the lucky one they call "mom." I am the lucky one to hold and cuddle and wrestle with every day. And despite our bad days, this is my job, my work, my joy. Not every moment is joyous, but the beautiful moments sure fill me with joy.

"Lead me, guide me, walk beside me. Help me find the way. Teach me all that I must do to live with Him someday."

What a beautiful reminder to me that I am the one they lean on to guide them. My ultimate job is to lead them back to Him someday. I choke up towards the end of the song as that blessed reminder reverberates in my mind. It fills me with the strength I need as I struggle daily. What a huge job: teaching them ALL that they must do to get back to God again. Wow - it's almost staggering when you really think about it.

Luckily, it's little by little. I didn't learn everything all at once and neither will they. But I can set them on the right course where they can find the answers themselves. I know I wouldn't want it any other way.





The rest of the verses:

I am a child of God,
And so my needs are great;
Help me to understand his words
Before it grows too late.

I am a child of God.
Rich blessings are in store;
If I but learn to do his will,
I'll live with him once more.

I am a child of God.
His promises are sure;
Celestial glory shall be mine
If I can but endure.


2 comments:

  1. Sarah this is a great post! And I think a LOT of people don't know the final verse but it is amazing. Thanks for sharing this

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for that encouraging note! I love the fourth verse as well.

      Delete