Thursday, April 16, 2009

The beginning of something new

Several have asked that I share the story of how I am engaged to be married. Really, it starts with an act of desperation, which has lead to something marvelous and wonderful.

In October 2008, I was planning a group date for a friend of mine and my sister and I. The idea was to hook up our friend, Laura with someone who we thought would be good for her. Well, they agreed to go out, Emily had her date and I finally asked out the guy. Saturday rolled around and Emily and I took a trip to Idaho Falls for some grocery shopping. I thought it would be smart to call my date and let him know what we were doing (I really should have done it sooner, but I was procrastinating). I called him and told him I would pick him up around 6:30. He told me that when I asked him out initially I said something about a corn maze and he thought that would be during the day, so he made plans for the evening. I couldn't believe it! It was about 4 p.m. and I had three hours to find a replacement date. I started going through my phone thinking of people to call to ask out.

The next couple of hours were crazy. I asked every guy in Greenbrier who could be found and all of them had plans!! I looked through my phone again with more desperation. Chanae Wilson's name stood out to me and I called her. Amazingly, she knew someone who I could go with and was with him at that very minute. She talked to him with me on the phone and then told me that he was fine with going with me. I thanked her profusely and then she put Jed Roberts on the phone. We finalized the plans, and I breathed a huge sigh of relief.

Fast forward to December. Jed had already gone home with me to meet my family (Thanksgiving). It was my turn. I purchased a plane ticket and flew to Boise, Idaho. His family lives in the suburb of Caldwell. It was so fun! As we met each other's families, we became more and more convinced that a permanent relationship was in the future for us.

At the end of the Christmas break, I prepared to leave the country. See my blog thoroughlymodernchile.blogspot.com for more information on my travels. It was a sad departure from Jed, but the plans had been made long before he came into the picture. I couldn't turn my back on them, so we would just have to endure.

And endure we did. We chatted through gmail video chat and Skype. We were very grateful for technology. The three months came to their end and we were once again reunited. I knew that I had a ring waiting to be placed on my finger so I was wondering how he was going to propose.

On a date that he suggested (hiding Easter eggs), he gave me the "prize egg" and asked me to marry him. I said yes without much hesitation. I prepared myself for that answer. I knew I wanted to be sure when he asked me. I know that he is the man that I want to be my husband. He has a strong testimony, honors his priesthood and honors me. He loves the Lord. He treats me like a queen and I couldn't ask for someone better. I have been highly favored of the Lord with him.

The date of the wedding is June 27, 2009, in Rexburg, Idaho, where we met. We're planning on a reception in Weiser, Idaho (where he grew up), on July 11. Rapid City's reception is July 25.

Finding Easter eggs! I was pretty clever hiding mine up in a tree and in other obscure places.


The ring - sorry for the blurriness. The wedding band will weave through underneath the diamond. I love it!

1 comment:

  1. I've been perusing your blog, and find it quite enjoyable :) SOO cute that your boy is from Idaho - my mom was born in Weiser, lol! I always wanted to find an Idaho boy while I was up there.

    ReplyDelete